Does success equal happiness? Perhaps it is that happiness equals success.
The article “10 Questions that create success” on Inc. was not what I expected. Typically, there would have been more words like ‘money’, ‘wealth’, ‘power’, ‘believe’, ‘aggressive’. Instead, the article implies that success depends on what’s in your heart. Despite its self-help guide style and tone, I enjoyed reading it.
Below I have copied the list of questions which the author advises we should ask ourselves at the end of each day. This doesn’t mean each question should necessarily be always answered with a ‘yes’ – that would be very difficult. This is just something to keep us focused.
1. Have I made certain that those I love feel loved?
2. Have I done something today that improved the world?
3. Have I conditioned my body to be more strong flexible and resilient?
4. Have I reviewed and honed my plans for the future?
5. Have I acted in private with the same integrity I exhibit in public?
6. Have I avoided unkind words and deeds?
7. Have I accomplished something worthwhile?
8. Have I helped someone less fortunate?
9. Have I collected some wonderful memories?
10. Have I felt grateful for the incredible gift of being alive?
In this understanding, success in private life and success in professional life are not disparate.