One of my favourite recently discovered foods: avocado.
1) It’s tasty, yummm. I love the nutty note. At the moment my top combination is simply fresh bread with some ripe avocado spread on it, sliced tomato and some salt & pepper – but possibilities are endless. It’s a perfect salad ingredient. Take a look also at this chocolate avocado or orange-flavoured milk-shake!
2) The flavour is new – at least for me. Funnily, I first discovered it after coming to Scotland.
3) It’s incredibly healthy. This is what’s written on http://www.avocado.org: Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
4) It can be used in place of a spread. Dear butter and pseudo-healthy, artificial-tasting butter substitutes, we see each other less often now!
5) It originates from Mexico. Isn’t it a great place to come from?
6) The colours vary – I love the juicy vibrant green of ripe hass avocado.